Seniors meet to discuss Variety Show

Variety Show advisors Heather Good and Alicia Weaver discussed the show and encouraged seniors to get involved

Emmet Jamieson

Heather Good and Alicia Weaver, accompanied by senior class president Taegan Ludwig, talk to seniors about the upcoming show.

Seniors met in the auditorium Dec. 11 for their first Variety Show meeting.

PAHS seniors present the Variety Show, an entertainment performance composed of skits and talent acts, each year in April. English teachers Heather Good and Alicia Weaver advise the Variety Show, and they assembled the senior class to present preliminary plans for the show. They encouraged seniors to participate, explained roles, discussed the show’s purpose and established future deadlines.

To prepare for the April show, Good and Weaver said seniors will practice throughout March. Good said time commitments will depend on the roles students choose; for example, an actor with a minor role might practice one night a week while an emcee or director might practice four. She added that she and Weaver will craft practice schedules to accommodate students who work or play spring sports as long as they attend when they can.

“If that [missing practice] becomes a regular thing and you don’t want to practice at all, then it becomes an issue,” Good said. “We’re flexible, but you need to understand that being here needs to be a priority for that month of March.”

Good and Weaver also discussed roles and asked students to consider what they might want to do. In addition to actors, Good said, the show will need a stage crew to man backstage operations, a scriptwriting committee to write skits, a candy committee to sell Variety Show fudge and a program committee to ask local businesses to support the show with advertisements. The advisors also handed out director applications at the meeting. Applications are due on Dec. 18, and the advisors will interview applicants after winter break.

The advisors emphasized why seniors should participate in the show. Good said one reason was economic: Variety Show proceeds fund the Margaret C. Boles Foundation, which gives scholarships to college-bound seniors, and the graduation party.

Good and Weaver also said getting involved in the Variety Show is a fun experience seniors should not miss. Good said students come to her every year and tell her that they wished they participated, and she encouraged seniors to perform even the smallest role “because none of it is really that small.” Weaver added that although organizing the show can prove challenging and seniors will need to “put 200% into it,” the challenge is worth it in the end.

“I graduated 33 years ago, and I was the director of my show,” Weaver said. “ I remember little moments that were crazy, fun, goofy, hard, horrible, but I don’t regret a minute.”

Seniors will meet to discuss the show again on Jan. 9. At that meeting, Good said, students can sign up for roles and submit ideas for skits, the opening and the closing.